Katherine Watier Ong is an online marketing trainer, public speaker, and professional SEO consultant. She has over 26 years of experience in communications strategy and online delivery of communications messages, including over 18 years of SEO, social media, SEM, and web analytics management.
Katherine is an accomplished trainer on online marketing strategy (SEO, social media, and analytics) and has provided online marketing strategy and training for a number of clients, including:
- National Academy of Sciences
- American Society for Microbiology
- NOAA Fisheries (Fisheries.NOAA.gov)
- NCI (Cancer.gov)
- WattAg Media
- (HHS) Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology
- The Story Exchange
- New York Health Benefits Exchange
- Cleveland Clinic
- Dignity Health
- Express Scripts
- Caris Life Sciences
- National Honey Board
- GHI International
- Environmental Working Group
- Leadership Alexandria, and
- Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
Katherine was previously the VP of the Online Strategy team at Ketchum where she recruited, trained and led the online strategy team. Additionally, she provided online marketing services for Ketchum’s clients globally including NY State of Health, HHS, Express Scripts, Gazprom, Cleveland Clinic, Hershey, and others.
For ONC, Katherine developed the digital strategy for the electronic health records (EHRs) national communications campaign – Putting the I in Health IT. To ensure that health care providers find information about health information technology and EHRs regardless of how they search online, Katherine implemented a multi-channel integrated campaign to distribute messaging across numerous platforms (SEO, social, paid online ads, and a click-to-call campaign). She developed and managed all SEO efforts and online campaign measurement process for the campaign, which recently won 14 awards including PRWeek, SABRE and other communications industry awards.
For the New York State Health Benefits Exchange, she created and launched social media strategy to support enrollments into the New York Health Benefits exchange, including launching a social media customer service team in partnership with their call center to aid in online reputation management for the brand and to drive enrollments. She later recruited, trained and helped hire a team located in their call center to manage the social media customer service work.
Prior to Ketchum, she directed the online marketing efforts for Environmental Working Group (where she created an integrated online marketing strategy that increased the site’s traffic from 300 thousand to over 1.2 million visitors to the organization’s website in one month).
Katherine previously served as Director of Online Marketing at the Environmental Working Group, where she created an integrated online marketing strategy that drove more than 1.2 million visitors to the organization’s website in one month (from the average of 300K/mo). And prior to EWG, as the Director of Marketing and Sales for 1-800-Volunteer.org at the Points of Light Foundation, Katherine took the 1-800-Volunteer.org software from a new-to-market product to the market leader in less than three years, with a 300% increase in website traffic.
Katherine graduated from Georgetown University with an M.A. in technology marketing and business and received a B.A. in social psychology from Hampshire College. She started her public relations and online career while at Hampshire, where she hand-coded her first website and ran all public relations efforts for USDA Rural Development New England.
Accelerate your SEO knowledge
- You can level up your SEO skills by joining our SEO Bootcamp course.
Conferences previously spoken at
- Digital Strategy Summit | Centre For Digital Strategy | 2023
- VOICE Global Livestream Summit | Modev | 2020
- BrightonSEO: Search and Content Summit | 2020
- VOICE Summit | 2019
- VOICE Summit | 2018
- Digital Marketing All Stars Summit | 2015
- Local SEO presentation for Level Up Silver Spring | 2015
- Online Marketing Summit (OMS) San Diego | 2013
- Search Engine Strategies SES Chicago | 2012
- EXL Pharma Conference | 2012
- DC Digital Capital Week | 2011
- HHS ONC’s Annual Conference | 2010 & 2011
- PRSA Nonprofit day | 2010
- Public Relations Society of America DC Nonprofit Day | 2010
- American Marketing Association | 2009
- Northwest Network Conference | 2008
- Salsa Democracy in Action User Conference | 2008
- Delaware Volunteerism Conference | 2008
- Democracy in Action Conference | 2008
- National Conference on Volunteering and Service | 2007
- FL Governor’s Hurricane Conference | 2007
- National Conference on Volunteering and Service | 2006
- National Conference on Volunteering and Service | 2005
- NTEN Conference | 2006
- American Marketing Association’s DC brown bag series
- National Conference on Volunteering and Service | 2004
- Marketing Wearable Computers to Consumers | 2003
- Speech to the Close up Foundation | 2003
Training and speaking testimonials
Thank you so much, Katherine. Yours was the most relevant and useful webinar that I have participated in recent history. Thanks again!
– Sarah W. Catoe, Hands On Asheville-Buncombe
Katherine is a highly skilled trainer who is very responsive to the unique needs of those in attendance. She has a teaching style where even a novice walks away feeling armed with the knowledge and resources to achieve their goals.
– Thea Becton, Grants Management Specialist, Points of Light Foundation
I learned almost everything I know about SEO and Analytics from Katherine. Katherine knows what’s trending, what’s changed, what works and what doesn’t, and what the SEO community is talking about at any given time, making her an invaluable resource.
– Ryan Thornton, Head of Catalog Music at YouTube/Google
Whether you’re first learning the basics or need a brush up on what’s relevant now, you can rely on the fact that Katherine knows what matters, what doesn’t, and why. From beginners to people mid-career – there’s always something you can learn from her. My team has thoroughly benefitted from their training and we’re making great strides for our customers. If you want practical, actionable, engaging training, look no further.
– Virginia Case, Founder and Chief Marketing Fixer at Strategic Tactical Marketing
I worked with Katherine when she was at Ketchum leading the digital strategy behind our “Putting the I in Health IT” campaign and training ONC staff on SEO, social media, and web analytics. Attending Katherine’s Google Analytics training was enjoyable and extremely useful as I was getting my feet wet in how Google Analytics works and how to use the data to adjust ONC’s digital strategy. Her enthusiasm for using data to make marketing decisions is infectious and I hope to work with her again in the future.
– Peter Keesey, Webmaster, Digital Analytics, and Business Analyst at US Department of Health and Human Services
Katherine supported our SEO program at the National Cancer Institute. She led capacity-building workshops for content owners and the technical teams, conducted market and competitive analyses, and mentored me personally. She is very knowledgeable in SEO strategy and has wonderful interpersonal skills. Definitely recommend to anyone looking for an SEO audit of their digital presence!
Yael Nussbacher, Senior Manager of SEO and SEM at The Great Courses by The Teaching Company
Commentary & mentions
- The State of Technical SEO Report 2023 | Aira Digital | 2023
- Your 2023 Boring (and Ridiculous) SEO Predictions | iPullRank | 2022
- Should I Start My Own Podcast Or Become A Guest On Ones In My Niche? | Podcast Hawk | 2022
- 6 Ways SEO and Publicity Teams Can Work Cross Functionally To Amplify Results | Dennis Consorte | 2022
- The Ultimate Guide to Enterprise SEO | OnCrawl | 2022
- How We Can Support Women in SEO: Advice for Women, from Women | BrightLocal | 2022
- Your 2022 Boring (and Ridiculous) SEO Predictions | iPULLRANK | 2021
- Learn SEO: The Beginner’s Guide to SEO | SEMrush Blog | 2021
- BrightonSEO: Search And Content Summit May 2020 Recap | Ricemedia |May 2020
- What Mompreneurs Can Teach Us About Time Management | LegalZoom | 2019
- What the Government Shutdown Means to Business Owners: “Time Kills Deals” | The Story Exchange | 2019
- Katherine Watier Ong’s story | Humans of analytics | 2018
- Discover 185 Outstanding Women in Data Analytics | Forbes | 2017
- Top 40+ digital strategists in marketing for 2014 | Online Marketing Institute | 2014
- Get your not provided keywords with SimilarWeb | SimilarWeb | 2014
- How To Break Through the Personalization Filter | sarahbundy.com | 2013
- Merging Search and Social Media: 5 TIPS from the Experts | Business 2 Community | 2011
Interviews & presentation videos
SEO strategy workshop
Published SEO and digital marketing articles
As an experienced digital marketing expert in Washington, Katherine has been invited numerous times to write for a number of online blogs and publications. Katherine has also been quoted and featured in several articles over the years.
Want Katherine on your podcast? See what others are saying…
Katherine is available for speaking engagements throughout the US.