Katherine Watier Ong is an online marketing trainer, public speaker, and professional SEO consultant. She has over 20 years of experience in communications strategy and online delivery of communications messages, including over ten years of SEO, social media, SEM, and web analytics management.
Katherine is an accomplished trainer on online marketing strategy (SEO, social media, and analytics) and has provided online marketing strategy and training for a number of clients, including:
- NCI (Cancer.gov)
- WattAg Media
- (HHS) Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology
- The Story Exchange
- New York Health Benefits Exchange
- Cleveland Clinic
- Dignity Health
- Express Scripts
- Caris Life Sciences
- National Honey Board
- GHI International
- Environmental Working Group
- Leadership Alexandria, and
- Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
Katherine was previously the VP of the Online Strategy team at Ketchum where she recruited, trained and led the online strategy team. Additionally, she provided online marketing services for Ketchum’s clients globally including NY State of Health, HHS, Express Scripts, Gazprom, Cleveland Clinic, Hershey, and others.
For ONC, Katherine developed the digital strategy for the electronic health records (EHRs) national communications campaign – Putting the I in Health IT. To ensure that health care providers find information about health information technology and EHRs regardless of how they search online, Katherine implemented a multi-channel integrated campaign to distribute messaging across numerous platforms (SEO, social, paid online ads, and a click-to-call campaign). She developed and managed all SEO efforts and online campaign measurement process for the campaign, which recently won 14 awards including PRWeek, SABRE and other communications industry awards.
For the New York State Health Benefits Exchange, she created and launched social media strategy to support enrollments into the New York Health Benefits exchange, including launching a social media customer service team in partnership with their call center to aid in online reputation management for the brand and to drive enrollments. She later recruited, trained and helped hire a team located in their call center to manage the social media customer service work.
Prior to Ketchum, she directed the online marketing efforts for Environmental Working Group (where she created an integrated online marketing strategy that increased the site’s traffic from 300 thousand to over 1.2 million visitors to the organization’s website in one month).
Katherine previously served as Director of Online Marketing at the Environmental Working Group, where she created an integrated online marketing strategy that drove more than 1.2 million visitors to the organization’s website in one month (from the average of 300K/mo). And prior to EWG, as the Director of Marketing and Sales for 1-800-Volunteer.org at the Points of Light Foundation, Katherine took the 1-800-Volunteer.org software from a new-to-market product to the market leader in less than three years, with a 300% increase in website traffic.
Katherine graduated from Georgetown University with an M.A. in technology marketing and business and received a B.A. in social psychology from Hampshire College. She started her public relations and online career while at Hampshire, where she hand-coded her first website and ran all public relations efforts for USDA Rural Development New England.
Accelerate your SEO knowledge
- You can level up your SEO skills by joining her SEO Bootcamp course.
Conferences previously spoken at
- VOICE Global Livestream Summit | Modev | June 2020
- Search & Content Summit | May 2020
- VOICE Summit | 2019
- VOICE Summit | 2018
- Online Marketing Summit San Diego | 2013
- Search Engine Strategies Chicago | 2012
- EXL Pharma Conference | 2012
- DC Digital Capital Week | 2011
- HHS ONC’s Annual Conference | 2010 & 2011
- PRSA Nonprofit day | 2010
- Public Relations Society of America DC Nonprofit Day | 2010
- American Marketing Association | 2009
- Northwest Network Conference | 2008
- Salsa Democracy in Action User Conference | 2008
- Delaware Volunteerism Conference | 2008
- National Conference on Volunteering and Service | 2007
- National Conference on Volunteering and Service | 2005 & 2006
- NTEN Conference | 2006
- American Marketing Association’s DC brown bag series
- FL Governor’s Hurricane Conference | 2006
Training and speaking testimonials
“Thank you so much, Katherine. Yours was the most relevant and useful webinar that I have participated in recent history. Thanks again!”
– Sarah W. Catoe, Hands On Asheville-Buncombe
“Katherine is a highly skilled trainer who is very responsive to the unique needs of those in attendance. She has a teaching style where even a novice walks away feeling armed with the knowledge and resources to achieve their goals.”
– Thea Becton, Grants Management Specialist, Points of Light Foundation.
“I learned almost everything I know about SEO and Analytics from Katherine. Katherine knows what’s trending, what’s changed, what works and what doesn’t, and what the SEO community is talking about at any given time, making her an invaluable resource.”
– Ryan Thornton, Partner Marketing Manager, Entertainment at Facebook
“I worked with Katherine when she was at Ketchum leading the digital strategy behind our “Putting the I in Health IT” campaign and training ONC staff on SEO, social media, and web analytics. Attending Katherine’s Google Analytics training was enjoyable and extremely useful as I was getting my feet wet in how Google Analytics works and how to use the data to adjust ONC’s digital strategy. Her enthusiasm for using data to make marketing decisions is infectious and I hope to work with her again in the future.”
– Peter Keesey, Program Analyst Digital Analytics Lead At Us Department Of Health And Human Services
Commentary & Mentions
- BrightonSEO: Search And Content Summit May 2020 Recap | Ricemedia |May 2020
- What Mompreneurs Can Teach Us About Time Management | LegalZoom | 2019
- What the Government Shutdown Means to Business Owners: “Time Kills Deals” | The Story Exchange | 2019
- Katherine Watier Ong’s story | Humans of analytics | 2018
- Discover 185 Outstanding Women in Data Analytics | Forbes | 2017
- Top 40+ digital strategists in marketing for 2014 | Online Marketing Institute | 2014
- Get your not provided keywords with SimilarWeb | SimilarWeb | 2014
- How To Break Through the Personalization Filter | sarahbundy.com | 2013
- Merging Search and Social Media: 5 TIPS from the Experts | Business 2 Community | 2011
Interviews & presentation videos
SEO strategy workshop
Published SEO and digital marketing articles
As an experienced digital marketing expert in Washington, Katherine has been invited numerous times to write for a number of online blogs and publications. Katherine has also been quoted and featured in several articles over the years.
Katherine is available for speaking engagements throughout the US.